Research behind offering wide Co-curricular opportunities
The breadth of extra-curricular activities, spanning the musical, artistic, social and sporting domains, are widely considered valuable life experiences that should be open to all young people, regardless of background or where they happen to live.
Extra-curricular activities boost young people’s confidence to interact socially with others; extend their social networks; and provide them with new skills and abilities. Above all, they offer an important space to have fun and relax away from the pressures of school work.
An Unequal Playing Field: Extra-Curricular Activities, Soft Skills and Social Mobility
Department of Education and Institute for Policy Research, Social Mobility Commission
At South Wigston High School, we place great value on the role of extra-curricular and co-curricular activities in developing well-rounded and responsible students. Our co-curricular vision is to provide opportunities for pupils to learn new skills and help them to discover what inspires them. Co-curricular clubs will encourage pupils to develop a further skillset beyond academic study. Involvement in any one of these activities will help students develop soft skills that are crucial to succeeding in the business world - beyond book knowledge. These are the essential skills that employers are looking for in the workplace.
- Give all students a wide range of experiences beyond the timetabled curriculum
- Give students choices to follow their interests or try something new.
- Enable students to train for competitions or competitive tournament.
- Enable our students to give back to their community.
- Provide opportunities for students to strengthen and further develop their skills to become confident independent learners.
- Allow students to become increasingly active and independent in their learning and thinking.
- High expectations of a normal school day e.g. no phones
- Full school uniform/school PE kit
- To arrive at the end of school
- To stay for the full hour
- For a register to be taken
|Sports Club||Sports Club||Sports Club||Taekwondo|
|Prep Club||Prep Club||Prep Club||Leicester Tigers Rugby|
|Handwriting Club||Science Club||Yoga|
|Performing Arts Club (Dance, Drama, Music)||Art Club||Art, Craft & Design|
|French Pen Pal Club (1st Monday of every month)||The Reading Group|
|Eco Club||Maths Club|
Our clubs are updated 3 times a year (each term) and typically take place after school, 3pm-4pm. More information can be found on our school app, Weduc.
Co-Curricular-Activities (ID 1056)