Free School Meals
You May Qualify for FSM if:
- You receive Child Tax Credits (but are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and your gross annual
family income is less than £16,190, as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs. Please note that your children will NOT qualify for Free School Meals if anyone in the household is entitled to Working Tax Credit, regardless of income.
- You receive Income support.
- You receive Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA). Please note that Contributions Based JSA is NOT a qualifying benefit.
- You receive Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). Please note that Contributions Based Employment and Support Allowance is NOT a qualifying benefit.
- You receive the Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit.
- You are an Asylum Seeker and receive support from the National Asylum Support Service under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- Child Tax Credit (provided you're not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190).
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get).
How to Apply
You may deliver your application by hand to Customer Services, Ground Floor, 91 Granby Street, or to any of the Leicester City Council Customer Services centres at New Parks, Saffron, or Charnwood.
Applications can also be completed over the phone on 0116 454 1009 (option 3), or online at www.leicester.gov.uk/freeschoolmeals.
If you have any queries relating to free school meals, please telephone the above number, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.