Modern Foreign Languages (MFL)
In languages, we want our students to have a happy and successful learning experience, developing students into enthusiastic and resilient learners is at the core of all we do.
In a world where 74% of employers say they want to employ someone with conversational skills in a foreign language, we recognise the value of multi-lingual abilities and want to ensure students have the skills and flexibility to operate in international environments, (both academically and personally) should they wish to in the future.
Our curriculum aims to enable all SWHS students to develop the skills and confidence to consider themselves ‘global citizens’ who belong to a multicultural, mutually respectful world. We want to make them aware of the value and importance of learning a language and challenge insular behaviours.
We focus on developing their competences in listening, reading, speaking and writing, building up their independence and self confidence throughout KS3 and KS4 to create confident and successful communicators. Students develop a wide range of transferrable skills, are encouraged to think in new ways and have increased exposure to customs and literature in MFL lessons.
Our aim in MFL is to develop students who are:
- Courageous in their learning, moving out of their comfort zone and being curious in their exploration of language and culture
- Accepting of cultural differences to promote an intercultural understanding of the Francophone and Hispanic world
- Responsible global citizens with broadened horizons and increased cultural capital
- Employable students with a competitive edge for future pathways
- Successful in their communication skills and application of grammar and vocabulary of a foreign language